UW Bioengineering is proud of all our faculty, staff and students, and the many awards they earn for their work in teaching, mentoring and improving lives through bioengineering research and innovations.
Faculty Award Highlights
- 29 American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) Fellows
- 13 members of the Washington State Academy of Sciences
- 14 past and current UW CoMotion Presidential Innovation Fellows
- 6 members of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
- Six AAAS Fellows
- One National Academy of Inventors Fellow
Student Award Highlights
- 13 current National Science Foundation Fellows
- Two Fulbright Student Fellows, one Gates Cambridge Scholar, one Rhodes Scholar, one Luce Scholar, and eight Goldwater Scholars as of 2016
- 5 Levinson Emerging Scholar awards
- Multiple awards from NASA Space Grant
- Multiple awards in business plan competitions from UW Foster School of Business
- Fellowships from American Heart Association and Washington Research Foundation
- More Amgen Scholars than any other UW department; 31 since 2007
- Over 100 Mary Gates Scholarships
Featured Awards and Recognition
David Castner receives 2017 European Conference on Applications of Surface and Interface Analysis Award
David Castner is recognized for his outstanding scientific achievements and contributions to the study, analysis and understanding of biological and biomedical interfaces.
UW Bioengineering Senior Lecturer Alyssa Taylor received the 2017 Award for Excellence in Science Education from the Seattle Association for Women in Science (AWIS) June 6 at a banquet in Seattle.
Molly Mollica, a Ph.D. student in the UW Bioengineering department, was one of three UW students to win funding from the Husky Seed Fund for 2017-2018. She will use the funds for her Husky ADAPT project, which adapts toys for children with disabilities.
Zheng Li, a UW Bioengineering doctoral student, won the “People’s Choice Award” in the UW’s first-ever Three-Minute Thesis competition May 15.
UW Bioengineering’s Eric Chudler and his UW team won a 2017 Northwest Regional Emmy Award for the program, “BrainWorks: Exercise and the Brain.”
Two UW Bioengineering-affiliated teams won prizes at the 2017 UW Business Plan Competition May 25, including Best Innovation/Technology Idea Prize for A-Alpha Bio.
UW Bioengineering faculty Valerie Daggett, Wendy Thomas, Rong Tian and Chun Yuan were inducted to the AIMBE College of Fellows Class of 2017. 29 BioE core and adjunct faculty are AIMBE Fellows, and this year's class is the largest inducted in the department's history.
Bioengineers without Borders Anesthesia team receives second place prize at 2017 Holloman Health Innovation Challenge
The Bioengineers without Borders (BWB) Anesthesia Device team won the $10,000 Herbert B. Jones second place prize at the 2017 Holloman Health Innovation Challenge (HIC), held by the UW Foster School of Business Buerk Center for Entrepreneurship
Dr. Kelly Stevens, an assistant professor in UW Bioengineering and in Pathology, has received a 2016 National institutes of Health (NIH) Director’s New Innovator Award in support of her work to build artificial human tissues from stem cells, and to remotely control these tissues after implantation in a patient.