Gain skills to solve today’s health care challenges.
Engineer solutions to unmet clinical needs.
Excel in leadership, entrepreneurship and technology commercialization.
The Master of Applied Bioengineering (MAB) is a three quarter (Early Fall – Spring of the following year) full time professional master’s degree program.
The Master of Applied Bioengineering trains students to apply engineering design to address today’s clinical challenges and fulfill the market-based demands of industry and medicine for biotechnology. Students collaborate with world-class faculty from UW Bioengineering and UW Medicine to transform biomedical research into technologies for improving patient care. Graduates have in-demand skills for work in biomedical industries and translational research.
Apply to UW Bioengineering’s Master of Applied Bioengineering (MAB) program – GRE Scores Now Optional
We have several application options. Please pick the one that works best for you.
Deadline 1: January 31, 11:59pm Pacific Time: Priority application deadline
Applications received by January 31st, will be reviewed in mid-late February with committee decisions sent out to applicants by mid-March.
- Applicants must make their decision to accept or decline offers by April 30th.
Deadline 2: April 30, 11:59pm Pacific Time: Regular application deadline
Applications received between February 1 and April 30th will be reviewed in early May, with committee decisions sent out to applicants by mid-to-late May.
- Applicants must make their decision to accept or decline offers by June 15th.
We will consider applications received after April 30th on a rolling basis pending available space. If you’re an international candidate we strongly encourage you to apply by April 30th in order to secure your visa.
Get on the fast track to inventing the future of medicine.
Master of Applied Bioengineering at a glance
- Clinical focus: Students collaborate with UW Medicine clinicians and faculty to identify unmet clinical needs, and learn about clinical culture and ethics
- Range of emphasis areas: Students select a technical focus for their coursework, and the curriculum is focused in areas in which Bioengineering faculty are acknowledged leaders.
- Solve real clinical problems: Students take a health care-focused team design project through the whole design process.
- Entrepreneurial focus: Student gain specialized knowledge about biomedical technology commercialization, including clinical trials and research, market analysis, business strategy development and regulatory compliance.
- Mentorship: Students work with leaders in academia, clinical research institutions and industry, and gain professional skills including resume writing, interviewing and job search.
- A foundation for career success: Students graduate with the ability to plan, design and develop biomedical technologies, effectively lead project teams and understand regulatory affairs.
- What do our alumni do: We see that 90% of our graduates are employed in industry, start-ups, academic research, non-profits, or government agencies within 6 months of graduation. Our remaining 10% pursue further education as medical students or PhD students.