The UW Bioengineering Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Committee
The UW Bioengineering JEDI committee is coordinating with other committees to develop mechanisms to increase our department’s level of expertise on anti-racism and inclusive teaching and mentoring, to provide similar expertise to our trainees through curricular changes and workshops, to redesign our hiring, admissions, retention, and support processes to remove structural as well as individual biases, and to engage in transparent communication with the Bioengineering community that includes opportunities for feedback.
Missions and objectives for 2021-2022
- Communication and Transparency. Improve transparency in the planning, assessment, and communication of JEDI committee with the rest of the UW Bioengineering community including updated website and regular summaries of committee activities and plans. Coordinate with department to improve transparency of BioE processes and practices.
- DEI Workshops and Training. Organize departmental “Inclusivity Discussions” of DEI-related readings/talks/etc. by experts. Provide inclusivity discussions to learn from experts. Identify and advertise workshops and webinars to provide DEI training for students, faculty, and other trainees and mentors.
- Building BioE Community. Working to build opportunities for connecting members of community, and creating a mentoring ecosystem to support our students.
- DEI Curriculum. Partner with the Curriculum Committee and the Accreditation and Continuous Improvement Committees to integrate more DEI content into the curriculum.
- Faculty recruitment. Identify opportunities for new faculty hires, and work with or on faculty search committees to implement best practices for hiring diverse faculty, including coordinating student interview panels.
- International Student Committee. Bring inclusiveness to the international student body in our department.
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities. Promoting/running/funding research programs for undergraduate students. (Make opportunities for inclusivity by providing funding).
- Transfer Student Pathway. Work with COE to recruit transfer students and to identify and reduce barriers to application and admission.
Is there something you would like the JEDI committee to work on that is not included in these missions and objectives? Fill out a short Google form to let us know.
JEDI Full Committee Published Meeting Minutes – Please note that the document will be updated with upcoming meetings minutes during the academic year.